The Tour takes place June 29-July 21

Friday, July 12, 2013

Europe: Day 6 (July 10)

Today, we had a free day to explore this busy tourist city of Venice. We began the day with a guided tour of the city, getting explanations of many of the important structures in the town. We concluded our tour at the Murano Glass Factory, where we got to see a skilled glassmaster form a pitcher entirely by hand, in a matter of minutes. After getting to see the formation of blown glass, we got to look around the Murano store at all of the beautiful glass pieces that had been crafted by these people. They were just absolutely amazing. After leaving the store, we walked down the canals looking for a gondolier. We found one that was offering a decent price, €80 for the group, or €20 each for the 4 of us. After a relaxing and exciting 2 km gondola ride, we stopped at another pizza restaurant for lunch. We got 2 margarita pizzas that were absolutely delicious. Following the lunch stop, we walked around the city for the next few hours, stopping in many of the wonderful little shops. I had to stop in one of the shops to get something, but the others didn't want to go in. So I went in and made my purchase. When I got out of that store, I couldn't find any of the rest of my group. I looked in each of the shops on that street for about 30 minutes without any luck. Eventually, I found another group of SOAers and stuck with them. Later that evening, I went to watch the Chorus perform at the Saint Mark's Basilica, a beautiful building. Since it is an operating basilica, we got to experience an Italian Mass. Although I couldn't understand any of the words that were being said, I felt like it was still an extremely humbling opportunity that I am glad I took up. After that, we left for the vaporetto to take us back to the port where our hotel was located. Venice is a pretty amazing city that I'm glad I had the opportunity to visit!




No comments:

Post a Comment